Translate

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Amazing Grace

It's been a busy month and a half, but we are now home again in Cincinnati. This morning, through the grace of The Gathering at Northern Hills, I was introduced to new words to a well-known song whose melody haunts all who hear it, but for some of whom the traditional lyrics strike a disturbing chord. Here is "Amazing Grace" from a less individualized, more loving perspective.


Amazing Grace (Adapted)

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That loved a soul like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see!

'Twas grace that taught my heart to love,
And grace such love received;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour 'twas first perceived!

Through many dangers, toils, and snares,
We have already come;
'Tis grace that brought us safe thus far,
And grace will lead us home.

When we've been here ten thousand years,
Together just as one,
We've no less days to sing love's praise
Than when we'd first begun!

No author attribution was offered for this version of the hymn that replaces the original by John Newton in my heart, and I have not found a source after a short research session. But I did find a Wikipedia discussion of modern interpretations that provides some interesting perspectives. It includes a mention of the wonderful documentary on "Amazing Grace" produced by Bill Moyers in 1990, which I recall seeing, and links to several excellent recordings of the piece by various artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment