Translate

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Siblings Day

I had never heard of Siblings Day until this past Tuesday, when a notice appeared in my inbox reminding me of the upcoming Scandinavian Scribblers meeting and suggesting siblings as a writing prompt. When I finally got around to investigating the origin of Siblings Day I found out that it is a fledgling holiday--fairly new and unofficial. According to the Facebook page of the Siblings Day Foundation, it was established in 1997 as a day for sisters and brothers to reflect on the special bond they share.

Well, the day (Friday, April 10) passed without any communication from my siblings to me or from me to my siblings. I guess they hadn't heard about it either--Siblings Day certainly hasn't made it yet into the Hallmark store or the Sunday advertising supplements or even as a Google doodle. I'll have to ask my three sisters about Siblings Day when I see them next week at our regular monthly Sisters+ brunch.

Because whether I recognize the day or not, my sisters are the reason I came to Cincinnati when we moved back to the U.S. this past year. We are four girls in my family, and have been now for sixty years. Although we grew up close we all went our separate ways very soon after graduating from high school. Only one of us remained in Cincinnati; one went to Chicago and then Indiana, another to Wisconsin; I spent most of my adult life in New England, with a longish side trip to Spain. Now we have all reassembled here in Cincinnati, and we are reestablishing and reveling in that special bond we have as siblings. We each live separately according to the style and habits and circumstances we developed on our own throughout our adult lives,  but we are also getting to know each other again, this time as adults. It is a wonderful treasure, and one I know that we all value.


No comments:

Post a Comment