Translate

Sunday, July 13, 2014

A New Chapter

This is a successor blog to Sundays in Spain, a blog I have maintained for five years and more than 300 posts, during the time that I have been living on Spain's Costa Blanca. Now I have moved my main residence back to Ohio, USA, the country and state in which I was born and grew up.  Not the city--I grew up in a small town 100 miles north of Cincinnati.  My parents moved from Sidney to Cincinnati the summer I graduated from high school, and my acquaintance with the city is limited to two summers I spent working here between college years in Boston, and visiting family, some of whom remained here and others of whom have returned, during the intervening years.  The most significant event that happened to me during the short time I was in Cincinnati was to meet my future husband; we met while I was on spring break during my sophomore year; I returned the following summer to get married; and then we both moved back to New England, where we spent most of our adult lives before "retiring" to Spain in the early years of this century.  So it is fitting now that we both return to this city, where a long-term marriage was initiated.

Except for the differences caused by its location, this blog will be much like its predecessor, Sundays in Spain.  I will generally write once a week, on Sunday or about a Sunday event.  I write for the discipline of writing, to concentrate on something positive and/or thoughtful, and to keep friends and family up to date with what is happening in my outer and inner lives.

I expect that there will be posts about an expat's relocation, notes on US cultural changes during the decade I have been living away, reports on explorations in a new city and different, but home, country, and observations and musings about the experience of growing older.

Today I can note that after two whirlwind weeks that involved four trips to Ikea (blessedly only a fifteen-minute drive from our apartment), seemingly endless trips transporting things between car and apartment (and we are only carrying the light, miscellaneous items ourselves), and lots of orders and negotiations with service providers, I woke up this morning for the first time in our new bed, fully assembled, and am posting now with our super high-speed Internet, and will soon watch one of my all-time favorite TV programs live, Sunday Morning on CBS with Charles Osgood.

Welcome to Sundays in Cincinnati!

No comments:

Post a Comment